Skip to main content
We've detected that you're using an unsupported browser. You may experience issues using the OA website. Please visit our supported browsers page for more information.


Tico Perez

Hector “Tico” Perez is the first Arrowman serving on the National OA Committee to also hold one of the National “Key Three” positions (Chief Scout Executive, National President and National Commissioner)by becoming National Commissioner. Tico is a Distinguished Eagle Scout and Vigil Honor Member from Tipisa Lodge, Orlando, Florida where he has also served as Council President of Central Florida Council. He has received the Silver Beaver Award, the Silver Antelope Award and the Silver Buffalo Award (2007).

In 2003 Tico Perez was appointed to the National OA Committee where he currently serves as Vice Chairman and lead of the Membership and Joint BSA Programs Sub-Committee. Tico received the Distinguished Service Award in 2004. Tico has also served on the BSA Hispanic Initiative National Committee.

In 2008 Tico was appointed to a four-year term to serve as the BSA National Commissioner. The original National Commissioner was BSA co-founder Dan Beard. National Commissioner is a volunteer position and includes serving on the Executive Board of the National Council. It was a special honor for an Arrowman and National OA Committee member to serve in this position during the BSA centennial.

Professionally Tico is an attorney in private practice. He serves as a member of the Florida Board of Governors, a governor appointed seven-year term to the committee that runs the Florida state public university system. Tico also is a radio personality including his own show in Orlando, “Talkin’ With Tico”.

3, OA, Profile, Scouting

Kaylene Trick

Kaylene (Kay) Trick is a Vigil Honor member of Susquehanna Council and Woapeu Sisilija Lodge from New Berlin, Pennsylvania. She is the first woman Arrowman to serve on the National OA Committee and the first woman to receive the OA Distinguished Service Award (DSA).

Kay has been an active member of Scouting for over two decades serving in various leadership positions in the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Venturing programs. Kay has served her council as Vice President of Program while assisting local units in her community.

She has served on staff at national Scouting events, including multiple National OA Conferences, the 1999 OA National Leadership Summit, Indian Summer, multiple National Scout Jamborees, and on staff for World Jamborees in Thailand and in England. Kay was the Trading Post Inventory Manager during the 2000 National OA Conference, Assistant Operation Manager 2004, Conference and Endowment Coordinator during the 2006 Conference, ArrowCorps5 in 2008 and Endowment Lead in 2009. She has also trekked and staffed at Philmont Scout Ranch and is active with Wood Badge.

Kay has earned numerous Scouting awards besides the DSA. She has received the Distinguished Commissioner Award, the District Award of Merit, The Silver Beaver Award, the Silver Antelope Award, the Lutheran Lamb Award and the International Scouter’s Award.

3, OA, Profile, Scouting

Ed Pease

Edward Allen Pease, an Eagle Scout, has served the Order of the Arrow and Scouting for many years. Ed was appointed to the National OA Committee in 1984 and has held a variety of positions at National Conferences and on the National OA Committee. In 1990, Ed was appointed to be Vice Chairman for Finance and in 1993 he became the Chairman of the National OA Committee for seven years serving until 2000.  In 2012 Ed was recognized for his years of service with the Order's fifth Lifetime Achievement Award.

Some of his past positions in Scouting have included, camp staff Director, and Council President, Wabash Valley Council, Associate Lodge Adviser, Section EC-4A Adviser, East Central Region Order of the Arrow chairman and member of the National Advisory Board of the BSA.

As a youth, Ed received the God and Country Award and in 1969, he served as Deputy Conference Vice Chief (DCVC) for Administration at the National Order of the Arrow Conference. He has been honored as an adult with the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award, the Silver Antelope Award and the Silver Buffalo Award.

As legal counsel for Indiana State University and a former Indiana state senator, he developed a wealth of skills for working cooperatively within the BSA national organization and the Order of the Arrow. Ed served in the Unites States House of Representatives from 1997 to 2001.

His tenure in Congress was defined by significant accomplishments such as increasing Indiana's share of transportation funding, increasing the investment in the US military, saving the historic downtown Federal Building in Terre Haute, Indiana, and serving on the House Judiciary Committee that introduced the Articles of Impeachment for President Bill Clinton.

After leaving Congress, Pease became Senior Vice President of Government Relations for Rolls-Royce PLC North America.

3, OA, Profile, Scouting

Goodman Memorial Service

In the late winter of 1980, while visiting his children in New Jersey, Goodman caught a cold, which turned into pneumonia. He went to Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan, where he could have specialists treat him, but he remained in intensive care. He passed away on March 13Portrait of Goodman.

E. Urner GoodmanHe planned his own funeral to include lots of music. It took place at Penney Farms on March 29. National Chief Jeffrie A. Herrmann and National Executive Secretary William F. Downs eulogized the founder. Downs spoke of his leadership as a member of the professional staff of the BSA, and said he was both a gentleman and a gentle man. Taking his cue from the Order’s ceremonies, he ended with the words, 

May the virtues which he represented glow the brighter in our hearts and consciences.

1, Founders, Goodman, OA, Profile, Scouting


Infinity, dear brothers, extends not only outward to the reaches of that clear blue sky… but also inward, to the heart of each human being. E. Urner Goodman 1975 NOAC closing address.

Goodman lived in an era of great change – from horse and buggy days to men on the moon. He also lived a life of great change. He knew much joy – a good childhood with friends and family, a successful career, a loving wife, three wonderful children and the lifelong inspiration of his faith. He also knew much tragedy – the death of his mother and aunt when he was a little boy, months of quarantine for diphtheria, tuberculosis as a young man, and the death of his son George in World War II.

E. Urner GoodmanLike the hero of Baden-Powell’s favorite play, Peter Pan, Goodman was one of the many men who sought to put off growing up by engaging in a life’s work consumed with the things of boyhood – outdoor fun among good friends, acting chivalrous by helping others, giving everyone a chance to play, being loud and silly. Thus was the Scouter rewarded in his work with youth.

He had mastered the art of leadership, and had success after success professionally and with the Order of the Arrow, because he gave away to others the opportunity to be in charge, to exercise authority, to be creative, to take responsibility.

He was loved by all because of his self-effacing manner and his desire to do what was best for others, putting his own needs last. Always a peacemaker among Scouters, George’s death convinced him that world brotherhood was a worthy goal.

As he said at the end of his career with BSA:

I had indeed found my life mission… . Those 36 years of professional service, 16 years as Executive in Philadelphia and Chicago, and 20 years as national program director, brought rich rewards, far beyond any salary considerations. They represented the work, above all others, that I wanted to do.

1, Founders, Goodman, OA, Profile, Scouting

Paul Siple




The Distinguished Service Award



Explorer, Geographer, Eagle Scout, Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow, member of Alpha Phi Omega Scouting Fraternity, member of the National Committee on Camping and member of the National Court of Honor. Accompanied Admiral Richard Byrd on the first Antarctic Expedition, after selection as the outstanding Scout among 600,000 then enrolled. This being the first of many exploits and assignments as a civilian and commissioned officer in the United States Army. He was the first President of the American Polar Society, and more recently served as scientific leader of the United States participation in the Geophysical Year. Presently he is Director of the Army’s office of Polar Affairs. Through his achievements and personal life he has brought distinction to the organization with which he has affiliated and captured the imagination and admiration of youth throughout the land.

---- excerpted from a Paul A. Siple DSA Certificate awarded in 1958

This statement from the DSA certificate presented to Paul Siple (rhymes with disciple) in 1958 summarizes in one paragraph the life of an extraordinary man.

In 1928 Commander Richard Byrd selected Eagle Scout Paul Allman Siple (December 18, 1908–November 25, 1968) from thousands of applications of Eagle Scouts to accompany him on a journey to explore the South Pole. Siple eventually took part in six Antarctic expeditions.

Siple was born in Montpelier, Ohio but his family moved to Erie, Pennsylvania, where he graduated from Central High School in 1926 and later became a member of Eriez Lodge. Prior to being selected for the journey, Paul had spent 35 weeks in total under canvas, including four weeks' winter camping in snow conditions as a Boy Scout and a Sea Scout. He became an Eagle Scout in 1923 with 59 merit badges (a far more extraordinary total at that time than it is today).

After an extensive nationwide search in 1928, he was the first Eagle Scout selected for the Antarctic expedition. Siple's place on the expedition had to be publicly funded; "pennies, nickels and dimes" were raised by the Weekly Reader "to help send Paul to the Antarctic."

Paul maintained a log and was determined to document his adventures on his return. Siple’s first of four books, A Boy Scout with Byrd was published in 1931. Admiral Byrd tells in his preface to Siple's book that he had not read Siple's account and had no intention of doing so until it was published, as he had no wish to influence it in any way, knowing that the book would be accurate.

Paul remained active in the WWW after his journey to the South Pole. On September 7, 1936 Eriez Lodge 46 (now Langundowi) bestowed the Vigil Honor and gave him the Lenape name Pehachpamhangik, translated as Seafarer.

After his initial expedition to the South Pole, Dr. Siple attended Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts where he received a Ph.D. in 1939. His dissertation was on "Adaptations of the Explorer to the Climate of Antarctic". He worked in the Army Scientific Office for most of his career.

Siple received the Silver Buffalo Award for distinguished service to boyhood from the BSA in 1947. His hero and former leader Admiral Byrd presented the award to Siple.

This extraordinary man graced the cover of Time magazine on December 31, 1956. His major scientific accomplishment has dominated winter weather reports for the past four decades. Paul Siple coined the well-known term wind-chill, used to describe human comfort due to the impacts of cold temperatures and wind, in his doctoral thesis research on the freezing rate under breezy conditions.

As an author, Siple wrote a total of four books, A Boy Scout With Byrd (1931), Exploring at Home (1932), Scout to Explorer: Back with Byrd in the Antarctic (1936) and 90 Degrees South (1959).

Siple became a hero among Scouts. He made frequent appearances at area conferences and the National OA Conference. In 1958 Siple was presented with the Order of the Arrow Distinguished Service Award and the Hubbard Medal from the National Geographic Society.

Siple is permanently memorialized with the naming of geographical features that bear his name, Siple Island, Mount Siple and the Siple Coast in Antarctica and Siple Station, the United States' scientific installation in Ellsworth Land.

2, OA, Profile, Scouting

Ron Temple

Ronald J. Temple has been a lifelong educator and Scouter. An African American, he grew up in Chicago and worked at Camp Owasippe for several summers during the late 1950s-early 1960s. He earned the Explorer Silver Award as a youth and was an active Arrowman, receiving the Vigil Honor in 1960 with the name “The Seeker”.

Temple served as an area chief and had the fortunate opportunity to attend the 1960 National Planning Meeting. At that meeting Ron Temple was elected by his peers to serve as National Conference Chief for the 1961 National Order of the Arrow Conference (NOAC). This was a significant event for the Order of the Arrow and the BSA. In 1960 segregation was de jure (by law) in the South; the Civil Rights Act was still over three years from enactment. The Order’s youth had selected Ron Temple to be their national leader.

Temple graduated from Eureka College in Illinois and as he continued his educational pursuits he remained active in Scouting as an adult volunteer. While living in Cincinnati, Ohio he was conferred the Distinguished Service Award in 1975. Professionally he has been a college educator and administrator. As a teacher of American urban history his expertise has been a great benefit serving as a member and Chairman of the National Urban Emphasis Committee, which focuses on Scouting units in inner city demographics.

Professionally Temple has been an administrator serving at the University of Cincinnati and as the Chancellor of the City Colleges of Chicago, which consists of seven colleges and was the second largest of its kind in the nation.

Temple was appointed to serve on the National BSA Executive Board in 1994 and on the Program Group Committee. He currently serves on the Chicago Area Council Executive Board. Temple is also a recipient of the Silver Beaver and Silver Buffalo Awards (1998).

3, OA, Profile, Scouting

OA Abroad

For the first thirty years of the Order, all lodges chartered were from BSA councils within the United States. The first lodge not located in a state was in a US Territory. Nanuk Lodge from Alaska Council chartered on March 20, 1947. In 1947 a single council served Scouts throughout the entire Territory of Alaska. The geographic area served by Nanuk Lodge was almost equal to the area of all of the other existing active lodges combined. Eventually the Alaska Council would split into three councils.

The first lodge to form in a foreign country was Chiriqui Lodge. In May 1948, Canal Zone Council received its charter. Scouts were initiated at Camp El Volcan.

On January 18,1951 Cuauhtli Lodge chartered for the Scouts of Camp Aztec. Camp Aztec was a camp for the BSA in and around Mexico City, Mexico.

The Scouts on the Big Island of Hawaii, Territory of Hawaii chartered Kamehameha Lodge serving Camp Holomua and the Kilauea Council on March 30, 1951. Two other lodges formed on the Hawaiian Islands, both after statehood in 1959.

Black Eagle Lodge chartered on September 25, 1952 serving Transatlantic Council. Transatlantic Council served all of Europe and a few places beyond. Black Eagle Lodge fellowships have been likened to mini NOACs. That is because many of the lodge members were originally from other lodges and Arrowmen have learned to include the Black Eagle Fellowship as part of a summer Europe tour itinerary. A single fellowship could have Arrowmen connected to as many as 100 different lodges in attendance.

Hinode Goya Lodge chartered for Far East Council on August 2, 1953. The lodge served BSA members throughout Japan and other Far East countries.

Yokahu Lodge chartered on May 5, 1954 for BSA in Puerto Rico. The lodge started at Camp Guajataka.

On March 22, 1957 Kootz Lodge chartered serving Southeast Alaska Council. Southeast Alaska was one of three councils from the split of Alaska Council. A third Alaska lodge formed (Toontuk Lodge) after Alaska became a state in 1959.

Baluga Lodge formed at Clark Air Force Base, Philippine Islands in May of 1959.The lodge is renowned for issuing a beautiful and rare flap patch and neckerchief. The embroidery was hand-loomed Asian embroidery and had a very different look from domestic badges. The lodge only existed for a few years. Baluga Lodge was absorbed by Hinode Goya Lodge and became a part of Far East Council.

Gamenowinink Lodge was charted by the Order on May 1, 1962. The lodge did not commence functioning until 1968.  The lodge was technically headquartered at the National Office, which at the time was in North Brunswick, New Jersey. Gamenowinink was the lodge for Arrowmen in Direct Service Council. Direct Service Council is the BSA council for Scouts and Scouters located anywhere in the world not served by any other extra-territorial BSA Council.

In May 1969 Virgin Islands Council split off from Puerto Rico and formed its own lodge. Arawak Lodge was formed at Camp Great Pond.

The last lodge to form outside of the United States was Achsin Lodge. Achsin Lodge was chartered in 1968 for Chamorro Council and served Guam. Chamorro Council merged five years later into Aloha Council based in Honolulu, Hawaii.

In 1979 there was an attempt to form a lodge out of the Gamenowinink Lodge chapter for Direct Service Council Arrowmen in Iran.  There were many BSA members based in Iran at that time and the 1979 World Jamboree was scheduled to be held there.  A charter was set for approval and a number, 575, was assigned / requested.  Even a flap patch was made.  But Gondwanna Lodge never was launched.

3, OA, Profile, Scouting

Patch Trading

Nobody knows when the first swap of Order of the Arrow emblems took place, but it had to be soon after the first badges of Wimachtendienk appeared. In the early years there was no trading of OA insignia. The first insignia in 1916 were pins. Pins were made of silver or gold. They were relatively expensive, certainly when compared to patches. An Unami Lodge gold Second Degree pin in 1919 might have cost $2.00; the cost of 20 die-cut felt camp monogram patches. No one was trading them with each other.

At the first Grand Lodge Meeting in 1921 most of the delegates were professional Scouters. They had much to discuss, but they were not trading. The first badges of the Order were issued shortly thereafter. The first chenille shaped badge from Minsi Lodge of Reading, Pennsylvania was issued circa 1922. But there was really no one to trade it with and no real location to wear it (OA Insignia was forbidden from the uniform until 1942, and that was for just the Universal Arrow Ribbon.) It was not until 1945 that pocket patches (not flaps) were approved for uniforms.

Circa 1925 Ranachqua Lodge from the Bronx, New York issued a chenille. At the following Grand Lodge Meeting in 1926 a motion was made to fully authorize OA patches. The motion was approved, however a requirement was made that only Brotherhood / Second Degree members or above could have them. With such stringent patch restrictions there still was virtually no trading of Wimachtendienk emblems going on.

The earliest example of a multiple OA emblem collection came from an Arrowman in Minsi Lodge. He had only three patches, but they were from different lodges. That meant he either swapped them or was given them as he was only in one of the lodges. The first badge in the collection and only one previously known to collectors was a Minsi Lodge chenille dating to circa 1927. The other badges, dated to the same period, were from Unami Lodge and from Swatara Lodge, Lebanon, Pennsylvania.

By the 1930s swapping had begun at meetings of the Grand Lodge. In 1933 at the Chicago hosted Grand Lodge Meeting there would have been patches everywhere to be seen; not so many OA emblems, but camp patches and World’s Fair patches. Chicago was already using a system of year badges and activity badges on their neckerchiefs. Swapping would have taken place, although probably not much involving OA emblems. The trades were done in fellowship. It was an exchange to remember a brother from another lodge. By 1936 at the Grand Lodge Meeting that had changed. Arrowmen were trading patches. There is a reference in the 1938 National Meeting Minutes that states, “once again badge swapping was a popular activity at the meeting”. The earliest photograph of OA badge trading was taken at the 1938 meeting held at Camp Irondale, Missouri.

On February 19,1937 the National Executive Committee in a letter to Scout Executives asked them in their role as Supreme Chief of the Fire,

to stress to his Order of the Arrow members attending the (1937) Jamboree, that they should not swap or exchange Order of the Arrow insignia.

It is not known why such an admonishment was made and there was never a written order rescinding of the policy. It is known that OA patch trading took place at the 1937 National Jamboree with multiple collections documented from the event.

By 1940, patch “swapping” was a major pastime for Arrowmen at national, regional and area events. In general it was “one for one” trading. It did not interrupt program and was done in fellowship. Many Arrowmen when they left the Order and moved on from patch swapping would give the patches to younger lodge members to trade and have fun with.

Up until 1948, there were no books or guides that had pictures of OA patches. J. Rucker Newbery collected OA patches, or as he would have called them, emblems. He called them emblems because they were “emblematic” meaning they stood for something (a fact often lost when patches are made for no reason other than for them to be rare or collected). In 1948 Newbery edited the first Order of the Arrow Handbook. In the book he included two pages devoted to pictures of emblems. This gave some lodges the impetus needed to create their own emblem for the first time. The badges were also really wonderful looking and, to many of the thousands of Arrowmen that bought the handbook, were fascinating. The patch-trading hobby was spreading rapidly.

In 1952 Dwight W. Bischel published his Wabaningo Lodge Emblem Handbook (The “Wab” book). Inside the Wab book Bischel provided all sorts of information never offered to Arrowmen. Each lodge that was known to have an emblem was listed in lodge number order and the badge was photographed if available. Other pertinent information such as city and state of the lodge, council name, meaning of name, etc. was listed. The colors of the patches were also listed because the Wab book was not printed in color. The book was actively promoted in the OA National Bulletinand at the National OA Conference. Bischel quickly sold-out 2,000 copies of the book in under a year. A generation of patch collecting Arrowmen emerged.

The patch-trading hobby continued to grow throughout the 1950s and 1960s. Hobby newsletters were developed such as The Trader which emerged following the 1953 National Jamboree and was first edited by Mike Diamond. It was during the 1950s that the OA started to make flaps in large quantities. Once Arrowmen could collect the same shaped patch from every lodge neatly cataloged in number order the hobby accelerated amongst Arrowmen.

Just as with any thing that is new and explodes in interest, problems developed. When Arrowmen learned that Bischel had obtained the badges by writing to council offices many traders started writing to council’s seeking patches. Some offices liked making the extra money or had a relationship with an Arrowman more than glad to have a new patch trading pen pal. Other found it to be a major distraction having to devote personnel to return unwanted money or patches sent by a hopeful Scout. In 1960 the OA made an official statement that Arrowmen were not to write to council offices for patches.

Other problems involved “restrictions” on patches. This made patches unequal in trade and caused a loss of fellowship. National strongly recommended an end to restrictions in late 1975. The biggest problem though was from a minority of over-zealous traders who were disrupting actual program because they were only present to trade patches. To be sure, the great majority of patch traders were active Arrowmen giving service and trading some patches along the way. In 1977 the NOAC theme show actually vilified a flap trader for not having the correct spirit. They showed him with a brief case full of patches, skipping training and having no idea of the purpose of the OA. Within the patch trading community the hobby changed.

One part of the change was that patch “traders” were becoming patch “collectors”. There was a heightened awareness that program must come first and that collectors needed to police themselves. More books were being produced. National and regional books were being written and published that provide the history of insignia. Arrowmen started paying more and more attention to their locally issued items. Patch organizations such as National Scout Collectors Society, Western Traders Association, the American Scouting Historical Society and American Scouting Traders Association (ASTA) and later the International Scout Collectors Association (ISCA) formed. They included a code of ethics. Among rules were not mailing council offices and not trading during training sessions and always following the rules of the event (whether they agreed with them or not).

Starting in the 1960s and gaining in popularity through 2000 were events separate from program only for traders. They were called “Trade-o-rees”. By the 1970s a National Trade-o-ree was held in conjunction with each National OA Conference or Jamboree. Many lodges learned to host trade-o-rees as fundraisers often including a memorabilia auction. The first “official” trade-o-ree at a NOAC was at the 2009 Conference held on campus at the University of Indiana.

The patch trading groups that had developed were also publishing magazines that provided information for collectors. This had the affect of converting what were patch “collectors” in the 1980s and 1990s to Scout “historians” in the 2000s. More and more collectors were interested in preserving the insignia of their lodge, camp or council through the insignia that had been issued. Because the insignia became collectible, value became associated with the memorabilia. During the past 15 years unbelievable values have been associated with rare OA insignia. This is a measure of the passion of Arrowmen for their history.

Collectibles of all types have passion and value associated with them. But OA insignia is different than something like a baseball card. A baseball card never plays the game of baseball. In most cases the card is never even touched by the player depicted or anyone else in Major League Baseball. But OA insignia had to be earned by an Arrowman. The emblem represents the presence and service of an elder brother.

A fortunate by-product of the passion and swapping and trading over the years is the Order of the Arrow’s insignia has been preserved for posterity. Books such as The Blue Book - Standard Order of the Arrow Insignia Catalog, edited by Bill Topkis and websites like the Internet Guide to OA Insignia published by John Pannell along with exhibitions such as the OA Center for History at NOAC or the 2010 Mysterium Compass Vault at the 2010 National Scout Jamboree have made it possible for Arrowmen to continue to meet their obligation by observing and preserving the traditions of the Order of the Arrow.

The patch-trading hobby remains strong. Walk through any Jamboree or NOAC (when program is not going on, please) and patch trading can be found in almost every nook and cranny.

Awards, Background, Insignia, National Event, OA, Profile, Scouting

G. Kellock Hale, Jr.

G. Kellock “Kel” Hale was born January 17, 1904 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He joined Scouts at the age of 12 (minimum age in those days) in 1916. During World War I, Kel sold more war bonds than any other Scout in Philadelphia. As a result of this achievement, Kel was selected as the Scout that would serve as Lord Baden-Powell’s Orderly when he came to visit Philadelphia.

Kel was inducted in the OA at its birthplace, Treasure Island, in 1918. He was one of the Council’s most decorated Scouts. By the time Kel was twenty-years old and attending the University of Pennsylvania he was an Eagle Scout with three Silver Palms (that would be at least 66 merit badges in 1924, a remarkable achievement in that era).

Following college, Hale moved to Mount Airy, North Carolina and went to work for the North Carolina Granite Company rising to the position of Secretary. In Scouting, Hale became a troop Scoutmaster, a position he would hold for 15 years until becoming District Commissioner. During his time as Scoutmaster, Hale founded Wahissa Lodge in Old Hickory Council at Camp Lasater on June 9,1938. Later that year Hale assisted with producing the 1938 National Meeting at Camp Irondale. Hale kept his Vigil receiving the name Kittelendam translated as “The Earnest” on August 10, 1940. Hale served in a leadership role at the 1940 National Meeting at Camp Twin Echo and received the Silver Beaver Award from his council in 1942.

Hale started numerous lodges throughout Region 6 (North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida). In 1945 he was invited to the National Executive Committee meeting. His attendance was to assist in planning the 1946 National Meeting originally scheduled at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, close to where Hale lived. However for various reasons the 1946 National Meeting had to be moved to Chanute Field, Illinois.

At the 1946 National Meeting Hale received the Distinguished Service Award. He also ran for and was elected as the Southeast representative to the National Executive Committee. In 1948, when the National Executive Committee was disbanded and the National OA Committee formed Hale was named as the first National OA Committee Chairman. Hale only served as Chairman for a year, when illness forced him to resign in 1949. Hale lamented that strict doctor’s orders required him to dispense with all activities and he was required to observe strict bed rest as the remedy at the time for fatigue.

Hale continued to serve on the National OA Committee until 1971. His last leadership position was serving as chairman of the Distinguished Service Award Committee. During the critical years of the Order when the OA fully integrated as part of the BSA, it was Hale along with H. Lloyd Nelson and Thomas Cairns that provided the essential servant leadership. Kel was a member of the BSA for 55 years and on the National OA Committee or its equivalent for over 25 years. G. Kellock Hale passed away on October 3, 1973.

2, OA, Profile, Scouting

DSA Profile

The Distinguished Service Award (DSA) was created in 1940 to honor those who have rendered distinguished and outstanding service to the Order on a sectional, regional, or national basis. It is given primarily for dedicated service to the Order and Scouting over a period of years.

The first recipients were recognized at the 1940 national meeting at Camp Twin Echo Pennsylvania in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Order. E. Urner GoodmanCarroll A. Edson and nine others were the first recipients. Chief Scout Executive James E. West was one of the first recipients but did not receive the award until December 29, 1942, presented at the 28th annual meeting of Unami Lodge. Ten of the original 11 were current or former professional Scouters, the lone exception being H. Lloyd Nelson.

The award is a sterling silver arrowhead, bearing an arrow pointing upward and to the wearer’s right. Originally the ribbon was dark green to “to remind us of the great outdoors in which the program was centered.”

Between 1942, 1946, 1948, and 1950, the national lodge posed a tight limit on the number of awards with only three to six presentations for certain years. At this time in our history as a national organization, the award was rare.

During the December 1960 National OA Committee meeting at Indiana University, members discussed and agreed to change the color of the DSA ribbon from its forest green to explore a new color combination. The last awards presented with the forest green ribbon were at the 1965 National OA Conference (NOAC), which at that time there were only 111 recipients.

In 1966, during a National OA Committee meeting in Dallas, Awards Chairman Kellock Hale reported, “that at last the new ribbon was available.” The new design was a white ribbon with four embroidered red arrows on each side. The National OA Committee mailed all former recipients with the green ribbon the “new” replacement ribbon. The Class of 1967 was the first recipients to receive the new ribbon during their presentation.

The DSA is traditionally part of the pageantry at NOAC. During the early years through the mid-1970s new recipients were not announced until the show, which was a mystery to even the new awardees. In later years a formal announcement has been made beforehand and a formal letter was mailed.

Professional and adult Scouters received most of the awards in the formative years. Youth area chiefs, the forerunner title to a current section chief, were invited to help plan the 1948 National OA Conference. This opportunity allowed more youth to get involved nationally and to help plan their local area conferences, which became known as conclaves nationwide. The first youth recipients did not occur until the mid-1950s. National officers and national conference vice chiefs were elected at the planning meeting, which at the time was every two years to plan the upcoming NOAC. Participation for youth to help plan a national event is a unique and special opportunity, and afforded more youth leadership responsibility.

In the modern era of Scouting there is more opportunity for both youth and adult to serve on various levels: NOAC staff, National Jamboree, NLS, and the high adventure programs.

The DSA is the only award in the BSA that youth, adult volunteers, and professional Scouters can receive. Recipients that have been awarded include section chiefs who have contributed high-quality program to their respective sections, adult volunteers of the National OA Committee, Scout Executives, Chief Scout Executives, and Presidents of the Boy Scouts of America.

Gradually more DSA presentations were awarded, as there were more opportunities to serve in the increasingly diversified OA national programs. Between 1981 and 2012, there have been groups of DSA recipients presented at a NOAC ranging in size from 39 to 69, and a total of 908 awards have been presented in history. The total number may sound high, however, one has to consider the total BSA membership of over 800,000 and the national OA membership of over 171,000.

A special newsletter for recipients was started in the fall of 2008 called "The Silver Arrowhead". One goal of the newsletter is to reach out to former recipients, as many are not active in Scouting. Another goal is to share narratives about early recipients to share their story.

Awards, Background, OA, Profile, Scouting

H. Lloyd Nelson

Nelson started Scouting in Goodman’s old Troop 1 in Philadelphia. He was inducted into the Unami Lodge at Treasure Island in 1919. Nelson was in attendance at the 1921 First Meeting of the Grand Lodge. He served on the camp staff at Treasure Island Scout Reservation and served as the 1925 Lodge Chief of Unami Lodge. On September 17, 1925 H. Lloyd Nelson kept the 45th Vigil in the Order at Treasure Island during the Fifth Grand Lodge Meeting.

Nelson remained active in Scouting and the Order while attending the University of Pennsylvania and in 1933 was elected Grand Lodge Scribe. What was distinctive about Nelson from all other previous Grand Lodge officers was he was not a professional Scouter. Other Grand Lodge officers had been Scout Executives and Field Executives working in the Order in a volunteer capacity. This distinction gave insight to Nelson that other officers lacked. That insight and connection with non-Professional Arrowmen equipped Nelson well when as a national officer Thomas Cairns included him on the Transition Committee.

The Transition Committee became the National Executive Committee, which became the National OA Committee. Nelson served from 1933 until 1955 on these committees. The first nine years was as the Grand Lodge Scribe (which during Nelson’s tenure was also called the National Tribe Scribe, the National Lodge Scribe and finally the National Lodge Secretary.) In 1942 Nelson was selected as the National Chief, which in 1942 was the equivalent to today’s National OA Committee Chairman. Nelson served as Chief until 1946 and then continued on the National Executive Committee as Past Chief. From these leadership positions Nelson was instrumental in directing the Order of the Arrow in achieving it’s most significant goal of its first half century, full integration into the BSA in 1948.

In 1949 Nelson became the second National OA Committee Chairman and he served until his untimely death at the end of 1955. All of the Order mourned his death. In a special and unique tribute, a memorial was held in H. Lloyd Nelson’s honor at the 1956 NOAC in Bloomington Indiana. During the memorial instead of the traditional flowers, lodges placed their empty chief’s headdresses and bonnets on the stage.

1, OA, Profile, Scouting