The 1940 25th Anniversary National Meeting hosted by Anicus Lodge of Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania was convened at their beautiful Camp Twin Echo (often called CTE), National Chief Joe Brunton’s home camp. Records for number of lodges and delegates were set with 64 lodges and 615 attendees, a nearly 50% increase over the 1938 Meeting. This was the last National Meeting held at a summer camp. With the continued growth they would have to move to a larger venue. During the early years of the Grand Lodge the OA had met in cities, hotels and camps. That would change for the next meeting.
Training was again a major feature of the meeting. This time there were two days of group discussions with 15 different topics some offered on both days. The modern NOAC model for training sessions was under development. Founder E. Urner Goodman gave the keynote address, “25 Years of the Order of the Arrow – and the Future”.
George A. Mozealous of Owasippe Lodge, Chicago was elected National Chief. H. Lloyd Nelson with Unami Lodge again was re-elected to a fourth term as National Scribe. Robert Heistand of Katinonkwat Lodge, Columbus, Ohio was elected National Treasurer. Selected for the National Executive Committee were Joseph Brinton, Joseph Brunton, John C. Norsk, William E. Hoffman and A. Frank Dix. Thomas Keane who had been the National Council representative on the committee was retained. The inaugural Distinguished Service Awards (DSA) was first awarded at this meeting. Eleven names were called out to receive the first honors.
Also new this Meeting was memorabilia. Sample medals had been made for the 1938 National Meeting at Irondale, but those were not made available. At the 1940 meeting each delegate received a silver neckerchief, a camp patch and a commemorative medal. Host lodge members received a special silver neckerchief, the first “Host” lodge memorabilia for a national gathering.
Future National OA Committee Chairman Tom McBride served as the meeting Official Bugler.