Planes, Trains and Automobiles? Or is it Cars, Buses and Rental Vans?
Now is the time to start thinking about transportation to the 2020 National Order of the Arrow Conference.
- Announcing your travel plans now will help create excitement and promote NOAC!
- How did your lodge travel to the 2015 NOAC at Michigan State University? Do you want to do the same thing or something different in 2020?
- Does it make sense to partner with other lodges in your area? For example, a full bus brings the per person cost down.
- What’s the best airport? Lansing, MI? Grand Rapids, MI? Detroit, MI? Chicago, IL? Indiana? Ohio?
- Check out the “Guide to Safe Scouting” on important details on driving hours allowed for transportation by individual cars/rental vans!
- Does your lodge want to do side trips? Here are some ideas:
In addition, the NOAC 2020 Transportation Committee has announced that NOAC airport transportation will be offered to/from Detroit on arrival and departure days via a charter bus service. Detroit is the closest major airport with about a 2 1/2 hour bus ride. The on-campus housing for lodges who use the charter bus service from Detroit will be coordinated so that these lodges will be housed in one general area to facilitate pick up and return.
Some contingents may want to connect into the Lansing regional airport which has limited service but is only 10 minutes from campus.
In the last several days, the National OA Committee Vice Chair for National Events Clint Takeshita and National OA Director Matt Dukeman sent every lodge the NOAC 2020 Contingent Reservation Information with all the details on registration, medical requirements, patch design requirements (specific to using the Michigan State brand assets), what each of the NOAC committees handles and more! Take the time to look at this packet as your lodge develops not only transportation to NOAC but what opportunities are there for your members to enjoy and benefit from. We are only 11 months away!!
Future callouts will provide more details on all facets of the NOAC experience!
For more information about NOAC 2020, visit oa-bsa.org/noac2020.