Ask the Chairman - Tour Permit

Q. What are the tour permit requirements for lodge events? What are the tour permit requirements for national events (NOAC, NLS/NLATS)?

A. The BSA web site's Tour Permit FAQ's ( has the following:

Q. When do I need to complete a tour permit?

A. Your local council determines when a tour permit is required for trips under 500 miles or local activity. However, the tour permit is an excellent planning tool that should be included in preparation for all activities, even those not requiring it. It guides a tour leader through itineraries, travel arrangement, two-deep leadership, qualifications of supervision, and transportation.

The national OA team reminds us that lodge events are council events, and the council is responsible for organizing the event in a way that complies with BSA policies, including youth protection and other health and safety policies, such as having sufficient adult leadership organized in a way that will help insure a safe event. This typically involves a controlled check-in procedure so that an accurate roster of those attending can be kept, assigned camp sites by chapter or provisional troops with adult leadership who can check campsite attendance against the roster, and proper equipment and supervision for all activities. Transportation to and from the event is most likely to be handled by the individual participant or his unit, in which case the unit should comply with applicable BSA procedures.

The OA and national events are specifically addressed in the Tour Permit FAQ's as well:

Q. What if my trip or activity is as a council contingent or is an OA activity?

A. Contingent planners can either use the paper version of the tour and activity plan or the tour leader can record the plan under his or her primary unit affiliation and council, adding in other adult leadership as needed.

The national OA team also suggest to check with your local council for any additional requirements.

Last revised on